권리세 (Eng: Kwon Rise) was a sub vocalist of LADIES' CODE. She passed away several days after the car accident on September 7th, 2014.
She was born in Fukushima, Japan, on August 16th, 1991, and was fluent in both Korean and Japanese. She attended Fukushima Korea Junior High School, Tokyo Korean School, and Seikei University. She majored in Economics and Business Administration. In 2009, she participated in the Miss Korea contest as a representative of Japan, and won the Korean Abroad Award as Miss Japan. In 2011, she finished in the top 12 on MBC's Star Audition The Great Birth, and appeared in the third season of MBC’s We Got Married, alongside David Oh. She also filmed an LG Optimus 3D commercial with him. After her success, she was signed with KeyEast Entertainment. When her contract with KeyEast expired in early 2013, she expressed the desire to focus on her singing career, and joined Polaris entertainment, where she would debut in their first girl group.
→ see DiscographyRise's individual teaser for Bad Girl was released on February 25th, 2013, with the final music video released on March 7th. The EP CODE#01 나쁜여자 was also released on this day.
On October 25th, Rise was featured in the music video for Kanto's song What You Want (feat. Kim Sunggyu).
The first teaser image for So Wonderful was a picture of Rise wrapped in transparent plastic wrap, released on February 6th, 2014. The music video and the single were both released on the 13th, with promotions beginning the next day.
A video teaser for KISS KISS was released on August 1st, 2014. The music video and the single, both physical and digital, came out on the 7th.
Car accident & death
On their way back to Seoul from their final performance of KISS KISS, on September 3rd, 2014, LADIES' CODE's manager, Mr. Park, lost control of their van due to speeding in rainy conditions, and crashed into a protective wall. EunB was killed almost immediately, while Rise sustained the worst injuries. She was taken to Catholic University of Korea St. Vincent's Hospital where doctors performed surgery on her for 11 hours. She was moved to the intensive care unit at Ajou University Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries on the morning of September 7th.
Her funeral was held at Seoul Memorial Park on September 9th. She was later cremated and her ashes taken back to Japan, where another funeral was held for her family and close friends. That was also where she was laid to rest.
A week after her death, Polaris released a music video for I'm Fine Thank You in honor of the lost girls, which included footage mainly focused on her and EunB.
In late May, 2015, it was announced that a memorial concert for Rise and EunB would be held in Tokyo, Japan, at the Shinagawa Stellar-ball, in honor of Rise's dream that the band would someday perform in her home country. The concert was held on August 22nd. Several of their fellow labelmates performed their cover of I'm Fine Thank You. Ashley, Sojung, and Zuny performed their first song since the accident, 아파도 웃을래. The digital singles of these songs were released on the one-year anniversaries of the deaths of EunB and Rise, respectively. The proceeds of these songs were to be donated to charity.
At the concert, Sojung said "I hope that this song would be able to touch Rise-unnie and EunB-unnie. We, Ladies’ Code, are forever 5 members, so please watch over us and I hope that you will not forget." Ashley added, in Japanese, "Having a concert in Japan was Rise’s dream, so there is more meaning added to it this time. I’m definite that Rise and EunB are thinking of us in heaven right now. To us, Rise and EunB were angels who were our friends as well as family. I really miss them. Everyone, in order for Rise and EunB to not be forgotten, please continue to remember them forever."
On February 24th, 2016, LADIES' CODE returned as a trio with their album MYST3RY. At the comeback showcase on that same day, after their first performance of Galaxy, Zuny cried as she said "The three of us will try our best to make up for EunB and Rise's absence."
- Her sister, Kwon Riae, participated in the Miss Korea contest in 2007.
- Rise shared a dorm room with EunB and Ashley.
- On April 27th, 2013, Sojung and Rise threw the opening pitch at the LG Twins baseball game at the Jamsil Baseball Stadium. They both wore jerseys with their names on the back along with a number. Rise's jersey number was 11.
- At the Jamsil Baseball Stadium on April 1st, 2014, LADIES' CODE performed before the beginning of the LG Twins baseball game. Rise's jersey number was 35.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Official Profile
- ↑ Miss Korea Hanooki
- ↑ "Miss Korean 2009 Number 27 - Kwon Ri-Sae, Japan"
- ↑ Korean Beacon - "Kim Ju-Ri Wins Miss Korea 2009" [Archived]
- ↑ Soompi - "David Oh and Kwon Ri Sae To Join 'We Got Married'"
- ↑ allkpop - "Kwon Ri Sae and David Oh clinch LG's "Optimus 3D" CF"
- ↑ Soompi - "MBC “Star Audition” Contestant Kwon Ri Sae Signs with Key East"
- ↑ Soompi - "Kwon Ri Sae Leaves Key East Entertainment and Joins Another Agency"
- ↑ Billboard - "Ladies' Code Involved in Fatal Car Accident: EunB Dead, Two Members Severely Injured"
- ↑ Naver - "레이디스코드 권리세, 7일 오전 끝내 세상 떠났다"
- ↑ SPORTSCHOSUN - "故권리세, 9일 발인 후 日서 장례 치른 뒤 안치…애도 물결 이어져"
- ↑ StarN - "레이디스코드 1주기 추모 음원 ‘I'm Fine Thank You’ 공개"
- ↑ [TRANS] 150822 - ‘I’m Fine Thank You’ Memorial Concert: Messages [Tumblr]
- ↑ Korea JoongAng Daily - "Ladies’ Code returning after tragic accident"
- ↑ updown news - "리세 은비 1주기, 어찌 헤아리리!"
- ↑ YouTube - LADIES'CODE리얼리티 EP #01